One Ibad’at – 24 benefits
Written by Br. Y. Karmali & Br. S-R Rizvi,
Contributed by Mustafa Mawji,
To Enhance the Spiritual Excellence during The Months of Rajab, Sha’ba?n & Ramadhan
Namaz-e-Shab – Tahajjud prayerS
A great way to enhance the Spirituality during these great Months
The Tahajjud Prayer (Salaat al-Layl – Namaz-e-Shab) ranks first and foremost in importance among all other optional (Sunnat) prayers. The Quran refers to it in Surah 17:79 and says, “And (during part) of the night, abandon sleep and keep vigil to pray Salat, in addition to the regular obligatory prayer. Your Rabb (the Sustainer) may (as a reward) elevate you to the position of High Distinction, Glory and Praise.” While advising Imam ‘Ali (as), the Prophet repeated three times, “’Alayka Bis-Salatul-Layl” which means, “incumbent upon you (O! Ali) is Salat al-Layl.”
Imam Jaffar Sadiq(as) quotes Imam Ali(as) as saying that the Prophet(saww) said that a person who prays Salat al-Layl gets the following twenty four kinds of benefits (& many more in addition):
- Secures Allah’s pleasure.
- Makes friendship with Angels.
- Is the Sunnat of the Prophets (as)
- Provides the means to pursue knowledge.
- Constitutes the root of our faith.
- Keeps one physically fit.
- Drives Shaytan away.
- Protects one from enemies.
- Serves as a means of acceptance of one’s Duas and good deeds.
- Increases one’s livelihood.
- Intercedes with the Angel of Death.
- Lights up the grave.
- Provides comfortable stay in the grave.
- Helps answering with ease the questioning of Munkar and Nakir in the grave.
- Gives companionship in the grave.
- Provides shelter on the Day of Judgment.
- Crowns (gives prestige) one on the Day of Reckoning.
- Clothes one on the Day of Resurrection.
- Provides one with light on the Day of Judgment.
- Forms a barrier against the fire of Hell.
- Increases the chances of getting Allah’s pardon on the Day of Judgment.
- Increases the weight of good deeds on the scale.
- Helps one crossing the Bridge of “Siraat” without much difficulty.
- Forms the key to the Paradise.
The time for praying Salat al-Layl is from midnight to the time of Adhan for Fajr prayers. Some ulema consider it permissible to pray Salat al-Layl starting after Isha prayers.
For recitation details and other Duas to be recited in the Namaz, please refer to www.ziaraat.com
Short way of prayingSalaat al-Layl which is made up of eleven Rak’ats is as follows:1. The first eight Rak’ats are prayed as normal in pairs of two Rak’ats each with the Niyyah of Nawafilatul-Layl (like Namaze Subh).2. The next two Rak’ats are prayed with the Niyyah of Salaat al-Shaf’a (like Namaze Subh).3. The remaining one Rak’at is prayed with the Niyyah of Salaat al-Witr. Qu’noot is recited before Rukuu and the Salaat is completed as usual with Tashahhud and Salaam. You may recite any Dua in the Qu’noot. Also ask your Hajats. Then, raise hands and pray for forgiveness of forty  or more Mu’mineen/Mu’minaat who are either dead or living in the following manner.
|Allaahummagh Firli… (Name)||?????????? ??????? ?…|
|O Allah, forgive … giving the names of Mu’mineen/Mu’minaat.
(In each case saying, Allahummagh Firli …….)
The blessed season of Spiritual Enhancement is at our doorstep, (the month of Rajab probably starting on 9th of April, 2016). It offers a good opportunity and convenient time to pray Salatul Layl, especially when the time of commencing the fast & other Iba’dats of this Spiritual Season is favourable. Allah(swt) gives abundant reward for all our acts of worship during these blessed months, therefore, we need to make special efforts to pray the Salaat and keep it up for the rest of the year to raise our level of spirituality.